Wednesday 16 March 2011

one year on

Thursday the 29th October 2009 started as usual we where getting ready to have a lovely weekend away in London. Our daughter Rebekah was feeling poorly lethergic, and vomiting so we made the decision to leave her in the care of my parents. Little did we know that 10 hours later she would be on the high dependency ward on ward 8. Rebekah was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic meaning that she would now have to have insulin 4 times a day before she eats. In the first few days of the diagnosis it was a bit of a blur, I kept asking myself why Rebekah, why my beautiful daughter for the first time in my life I felt like I had let her down, as mums are supposed to protect their precious children. Then came the hard work going into school with Elaine the diabetic nurse making sure everything was in place for when Rebekah went back into school, and explaining things in simple form for Rebekahs little brother Matthew who was only 8 years old at the time, but he was so protective of his big sister and was always asking if she was ok and if she needed anything, we put together a hypo box which was kept in a place in easy access for everyone, and finding room for all the medication Rebekah was now on.

1 comment:

  1. I am so, so sorry. I have a 15 year old son with Type 1 (diagnosed August 2008). He went through a depression after being diagnosed, but it gets better. He is a wonderful person and is doing very well now. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete